Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Second Guess

"Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for."
- Lawrence Block


So I think it's strange how one's views on something could change so drastically after giving it some thought or more importantly, after hearing other people's views about it.

And sometimes, one tongue-in-cheek comment can change everything.

Sometimes when one finds out that the things they've been taking for granted is something that others have been fighting for, they suddenly want to keep it for themselves. Such is human nature - I have seen this happen so many times that I've lost count. I've jeered at other people who have done this, and yet here I am doing the same.

I guess the value of something is indeed relative to the one who desires it. Maybe life is some sort of buyer's market and more often than not, we tend to pay for those concepts we think we want - even if we pay more than its actual worth. And the interesting thing is that we don't mind if we overpay as long as we're happy.

Or maybe value is an illusion. After all, all the gold in the world didn't sate Midas' hunger, thirst and feeling of loss.

And if that's what people perceive as greed, then so be it - I am greedy, perhaps even selfish. But if that's the only way the world would make me appreciate things, I guess that's something I would have to grudgingly come into terms with.

So here's to the unknown. Here's to leaving terra firma. Here's to people jumping blind into something, in the hope that everything would turn out okay. Here's to a gamble which (I hope) would turn out to be a good decision in a tired sea of bad ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment