Pages

Monday, August 21, 2017

Chapter 29

Life is a vast infinity of unknowns. (Taken at Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia)

Another year, another notch in my calendar.

Over the years, I've come to realize that very few things have grown as much in value as time. Severely limited and utterly irreplaceable, it's an oft overlooked moral imperative that we have to do as much good as we can in the world with what we have.

I suppose that's one of reasons why moving out has been one of the bigger decisions I've made in the past year. Time has grown increasingly important for me - which is inversely proportional to the omnipresent Filipino misfortune of Manila's slowly regressing traffic situation.

Eliminating the four-hour commute each day has done wonders for my well-being. That's easily twenty hours a week, eighty hours a month and eventually, 40 days a year. It's terrifying that people lose a month of their lives every year to meaningless travel. There's just so much value one gains back when time is saved. Less stress, more sleep and better opportunities to pursue one's fleeting interests - maybe that's one of the better gifts I've received in a very long time.

Oh, and the sometimes overwhelming sense of freedom of being (mostly) on one's own is just icing on the cake.

Despite everything, I'm glad to say I'm in a much better place. Heck, maybe things are even starting to look up.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment