Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 43 - Battling Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
- Murphy's Law

Clusterfuckery is the name of the game.

Due to an unfortunate turn of events that does not involve neglect on my part in any way (and I feel that I must emphasize that point), my laptop (which has served me well for the past three years) has been rendered unusable for the foreseeable future. The machine is replaceable, I get that, but what particularly kills me is the loss of three years' worth of data due to water damage.

Dead. Gone. Kaput.

It's almost like some sort of diabolic mockery, to see everything functional with the exception of the hard disk. It drives me nuts thinking about it.

The shows, the games and other pieces of media - those are replaceable. I regularly back up my photos and music on an external drive, so I'm not worrying too much about that. I've uploaded a copy of A Scoundrel's Missives online a year ago - if I lost that, I'll probably flip out. Heck, I haven't updated my resume in years (and I should probably get to that soon) but the latest copy is stored online somewhere.

NaNoWriMo is next week. I keep thinking about that. In fact, I've been thinking about that above a  lot of things for the past month, and I've been thinking about what would have happened if I've not been extra paranoid about the permanence of my electronic documents. How I've saved my notes on a different machine (that must not be named) as an afterthought. How I must save it to the Cloud now (and I just did, for the record) instead of waiting for another day. How a lot of things tend to be out of our control, even if we are really, really fucking careful about the things that we give a damn about - and how loss is one of the most inevitable forces in the ridiculously miniscule human perspective of the universe.

For now, I'll trust the cloud a bit more. Loss sucks.

Well, yeah. C'est la vie.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment