Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Week 19 - Intrepid

"Vg'f n qnza qernz jura lbh svaq fbzrbar lbh pna qb abguvat jvgu."
- Elna B' Pbaaryy

Just a couple of notable things this week.

We got to try this hidden gem called Tsumura last weekend. It's a Japanese restaurant hidden away in the second floor of the 88 Corporate Center in Salcedo Village, Makati. I'm no food connoisseur, but it's easy to notice that the food, especially the sashimi, is ridiculously fresh (and by fresh I mean the fish does not smell like fish) and the servings are pretty hefty. It should be noted that they serve actual uni in their sashimi platter, and not that paste that mall restaurants serve (although I'll eat that too) - as well as some other seafood I've never has as sashimi before like hamachi, octopus and mackerel. One would definitely get their bang for their buck when dining there, although buck would be a major understatement, and I'll leave it at that.

We also managed to catch Evil Dead yesterday. It wasn't quite the comedy-horror flick I expected it to be. I guess I was hoping that it would be similar to the first three films (or first two if Army of Darkness doesn't count) - but they cut out the campy parts that made the old films so endearing and replaced it with a ton of gore and dismemberments. However, homage is the keyword here and Evil Dead does not disappoint. Mia's travails with the Kandarian Demons share so many parallels with Bruce Campbell's iconic Ash (down to the closing lines) that a few of the other moviegoers (including myself) couldn't stop a small chuckle amidst the blood fountains that the film uses an unwarranted amount of. All in all, it's a pretty solid film - and I'm interested in how Raimi and the gang would be able to merge Mia's and Ash's stories into a single film (as they promised) - especially since Bruce Campbell is frickin' old now.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment