Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Switching from Time to Priorities

"I do not particularly like the word 'work'. Human beings are the only animals who have to work, and I think that is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Other animals make their livings by living, but people work like crazy, thinking that they have to in order to stay alive."
- Masanobu Fukuoka

So I've stumbled upon this Lifehacker article lately. The author discusses how changing 'I don't have time for X' to 'X is not a priority' triggers a subtle but drastic change in perspective.

I feel that this is sound advice, for the moment. I know that I use a lot of my time doing whatever at-the-moment thought comes to mind and I would often wonder why I don't have time for matters other people deem more 'urgent' or 'important'. I guess I march to the beat of my own drum, as the idiom goes.

I think it's pretty strange then, that writing blog posts is a priority for me while something like, uhm, cleaning my room isn't. While I know that it's a horrible example (because I do clean every once in a while and the room's not a rathole anyway), I guess reorganizing personal goals via what I perceive to be their level of priority would help me do things I've been putting aside for so long.

That being said, I should probably prioritize the life part of work-life balance. I can't be bothered to admit it, but I know that a vacation is pretty long overdue. I guess I'd have to plan that soon given that I now have the time, resources and opportunity to do so.

On the other hand, it's probably difficult for others to adjust to this philosophy when their time is already committed to other people. I guess it's irresponsible to say Person X isn't a priority, so there's that. That's something to think about, but in my case I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

On second thought, getting to that bridge should probably be a priority.

And yes, I know what I just said - ZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment