Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Weighing the Scales

So last week was sort of an epiphany. One can only wake up alone in the house so many times because he had work the night before, and the folks have gone to some trip. One can only miss so many vacations, so many gatherings, so many life-changing events. I seem to always forget that those are probably the very reasons why I work in the first place.

I have often asked myself how workaholics balance the five factors in life. It often turns out that the answer is that they most likely don't. Most of the time, people can balance four, tops, which is scary. I've known people who work fourteen-hour shifts. I've had friends who only had other friends attend their graduation because their parents couldn't make it. I've heard of people ditching others because something more important came up at work and they had to be there. And I sure as fuck wouldn't turn myself into a godless machine to ensure business continuity.

I cannot work in operations forever, because that's a ticket to an early grave. And I simply cannot do development for a living. There's just something that does not make me want to blur the line between work and personal time and that's something that gets sacrificed in this line of work.

I don't know what I'll give to know what my options are at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment