Pages

Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Fulcrum

"I think for most people, there is a tipping point where you realize that there are more people who depend on you than there are people who you depend on."
- David Wong, on the turning point of reaching one's adulthood

So should I be thankful then that at this point in time I don't feel like I have not reached the tipping point yet? I'd be lying if I said I have everything figured out. I feel that I'm tentative more times than I'd care to acknowledge. That there is way more guesswork than I'm comfortable with. That I ask the same question back because other people's guesses are more likely just as good as mine, if not outright better.

On a related note, I cringe every time relatives draw comparisons. Most people don't realize how loaded the term "role model" is. It's almost as if it's implied that one has things in order and is hence responsible to teach those to others. What most people don't realize is that there is no easy way to tell someone that repeated failure was the way those "things" have been figured out. Besides, I know, for a fact, that I'm a horrible teacher.

Life does not provide a syllabus, but it often gives us a ridiculously wide margin for error.

No comments:

Post a Comment