Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Defiance

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible."
-Arthur C. Clarke

So ever since I've started working, a lot of people have been pestering me to leave the country as soon as I had the chance. They firmly believed that there is no longer any hope here of making it, so to speak. The thing was they did have a point.

I would be lying if I said I loved this country and thus would accept all its faults with open arms. Only a fool would say that. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of reasons to think that we have reached a point of no return.

After all, who would want to live in a place where the common mentality is to pull everyone down with them? Who would want to wake up every morning knowing that at any moment they could be screwed by the very people they trust to protect them? Who would want live in a place knowing that their taxes are either spent on useless things, or are kept for personal use? Who would want to see that whenever there is real work taking place, it has to have the name of the person overseeing it on a poster somewhere, as if to remind the commoners that the people in power are doing their work?

However, if you look really hard, you would see things that don't add up. You'd see people living comfortably in highrise condominiums. You'd see people mucking about in posh malls. You'd see people going to vacations on a whim. There must be something we're not seeing here, we thought.

Well, we've decided to go that route.

I've had a chat with another former work colleague the other day. While a lot of them were quitting dead-end jobs, this dude talked about taking an IT-related course (he was an engineer) so he could stand and bang with the IT professionals. He revealed that there have been recent openings in some companies where work compensation was ridiculous. It was ridiculous to the point that leaving the country seemed like a very dumb idea when those opportunities exist here.

The crazy thing is that I know deep down that as a goal it is attainable, and that it can be done within a reasonable amount of time. I am well aware that I may be setting myself up for a huge fall. But I feel like it would be such a waste if I turn back now. I have to know how far I can push things.

Well, some of our dreams in life sound insane.

I've read somewhere that humanity's special power is that it is able to turn the impossible into something believable, and the believable into the possible.

We have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment