Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Week 39 - Fists and Codices

"No one will hit you harder than life itself. it doesn't matter how hard you hit back. It's about how much you can take, and keep fighting - how much you can suffer and keep moving forward. That's how you win."
- Anderson Silva


So last weekend, I could finally say that I have it on good authority that Bacardi is the goddamned devil. While I will choose sobriety over inebriety any day of the week, I know that I can hold most types of alcohol save for very specific ones (and I'm adding that to the list of stuff to avoid at all costs). Luckily, I managed to stay mostly sober and somehow avoided a hangover, so that's a plus.

On a related note, I have this nagging feeling that I may have missed something quite significant. Illidan says it best - I'm blind, not deaf. So good job, shorebot. I missed something again and that was a mistake on my part; and I'm really, really sorry about that, uh, Barry Allen. Yeah, Barry Allen sounds obscure enough.

In other news, I just watched a documentary entitled Like Water. It highlights some moments of Anderson Silva's career, leading up to his first Middleweight title defense against Chael Sonnen. This was a particularly interesting fight since Silva was essentially untouchable before that time, to the point that people often joke about him being straight out of the Matrix. In what was almost one of the biggest upsets in MMA, Sonnen dominated Silva for four and a half rounds (and Silva took more shots than all of his previous fights combined). In the last couple of minutes of the fight, Silva threw a Hail Mary triangle choke for the win, and the world exploded. The documentary added so much context to the historic fight. In what appeared to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, Silva promised to make Sonnen tap out despite Big Nog's insistence that the fight would end in a knockout. The film also showed footage of Silva practicing the exact move he finished Sonnen with, including the actual posture the challenger had when the fight was stopped. Most importantly though, it showed a glimpse of the Spider's philosophy as a martial artist (emphasis on artist), a mentor and a family-oriented individual.

Lastly, it appears that I'll be training a few people in the next few weeks. I guess I have my work cut out for me, given the fact that I'm not exactly the teacher-type. It's not that I can't master things well enough to be able to teach them. To better explain it, see item four in this Cracked article, especially the quote below:

See, what your brain really wants is to shift into autopilot, to turn your life into repetitive patterns and create heuristics - mental shortcuts that help you get through the day using the least amount of brain power necessary. Heuristics allow you to drive to work half asleep and hung over, and get there with no recollection of the trip you just made. They compel you to repeat the same little things over and over day after day, because these routines require way less energy.

I'm afraid that there might be little important things I might accidentally omit because I'm so accustomed to the tasks I'm doing to the point that said things are already second nature to me but are noteworthy for new folks. I guess I'll have to be extra careful then.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment