Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

28 Days, 6 Hours, 42 Minutes and 12 Seconds

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck."
- 14th Dalai Lama

So is it a coincidence that I'm writing about luck on a Friday the Thirteenth? Of course not, silly rabbit.

It should be no secret by now that I have the tendency to overanalyze things. I suppose that's the introvert's disease, but I digress. Anyway, I've often wondered how I get myself in the situations I find myself in. I think it's baffling how certain completely unrelated events somehow affect each other. It's funny that some things that I initially thought were strokes of bad luck got me into better times.

Take my current job, for instance. Around a year ago, I sorely needed a new job. I was out of work for almost three months because I resigned with the notion that I'd somehow be able to secure a position at a company that I was aiming to get into for the past year. It was a desperate gamble six months in the making and I had no backup plans since at the time I've already declined an offer from my backup company, which is a reputable one as well. Go figure.

The crazy thing was I wasn't even sure if I could make the cut, since I did not even meet the experience requirements for the opening in the first place. The only thing I had going for me was some training some friends and I took. We spent our first holiday bonuses on it, by the way, so there was a lot of spite and hope riding on that one.  Again, go figure.

I can't even begin to describe how awesome it felt when I got word that somehow I was able to secure the position. On the week that I was supposed to sign the contract, I got an appendectomy. There is no worse feeling than almost getting what you want only to be threatened by, of all things, the possibility of death.

Call it an overreaction but there is probably nothing more humbling than for someone to be reminded of his mortality. If that happened in the middle of a workday or even under horrible weather, I'm pretty sure I would have been royally screwed.

I guess not all reality checks are pleasant ones. Sometimes we have to experience seeing things from a radically different perspective to appreciate what we currently have.

On a penultimate note, I eventually ended up securing the job. I managed to give the recruiters a call once I was no longer messed up by whatever meds they put me on. Thankfully, they were reasonable people and allowed adjustments, so there's that.

On a final note, the post title doesn't really mean anything cryptic. It's just a Donnie Darko reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment