Pages

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Tranquil Still

"And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful."
-Max Erhmann, Desiderata

So last night, I got news about a few changes in my work schedule. I got my weekends back. I guess sometimes problems do fix themselves. Then again, I've always believed that anyway.

Recently, I've had to re-assess my perspectives. I'm not a pessimist by any means, although I'm certainly no optimist. If anything, I could probably say I'm a realist with a slight tendency for defeatism (which I'm trying to avoid nowadays).

However, I've learned that there's no point in expecting Murphy's Law to manifest itself in everything. I learned that sometimes (or most of the time, whichever applies), we do suffer losses. What we don't realize is that very often, these are the losses we could afford to take.

I learned that the more important things are the ones that, ironically, cannot be taken from us. Things like our ideals, our morals, our values and our innate abilities. I learned that by using these do we gain everything else we have.

I guess there's more in store for me. It's quite a long road, and it's littered with dragons to slay.

No comments:

Post a Comment