Pages

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Dungeon Quest

Battlemages are the best.
Like many people I know, I've spent an unhealthy amount of time playing Diablo II when I was younger. I've probably spent several hundred hours on my zoomancer, the aptly named Dralnu (which in itself is another reference to a nerdtastic childhood). Not my proudest moments, I know. I've been playing Diablo clones on most platforms I could get hands on for as long as I remember, and Android is no exception.

I came across Dungeon Quest completely by accident and despite the unflattering screenshots, I gave it a shot based on the very good reviews.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. Dungeon Quest is essentially a barebones Diablo clone, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lacking a story (at this time), it features the a very effective randomized item system, tiered enemies, and a very interesting character building system, which allows players to highly customize their builds while at the same time allow cookie cutter builds in the lower levels.

Level-ups are very straightforward - characters are given skill points to spend on either attack power, hit points and mana points while skill trees are non-existent. Instead, active skills are derived from the mainhand and offhand equipment while passive skills are acquired as built-in bonuses from other gear as well as from random item affixes.

There are two character classes at this time, the mage and the warrior. It's worth noting that while there are only two classes, the game encourages players to play them according to personal preference. For instance, no two mages are the same - one person could have a summoner that could fire explosive balls of energy while another could have a sword-wielding mage that teleports around the battlefield to avoid danger (which is how I built mine).

The best part, however, is that it's completely free - although it has ads in it (which are not too obtrusive and can be very cheaply removed by any in-game real currency purchase).

I definitely recommend giving Dungeon Quest a try. Get it now on Google Play here.

No comments:

Post a Comment