Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Rurouni

Kaoru sketch, because Megumi had weird eyebrows.
So first off, this isn't going to be a typical review per se, because I'm going to sound like a completely incomprehensible nutcase if I described the awesomeness that is Rurouni Kenshin. Also, I'm about a month late. Besides, it's been reviewed to death already - by people more passionate about it than I am.
Anyhow, I found it funny that I felt a bit old as I watched the film. I guess it felt that Rurouni Kenshin was tailor-made for a certain audience - specifically the generation who enjoyed it in animated form more than a decade ago.

At first, I was puzzled (and a bit shocked, to be honest) that there were more adults who were excited (read: extra jumpy) about it than there were young folks. Actually, I don't think I know anyone below twenty who actually watched it - their loss though.

I guess it just goes to show how quickly time flies and how rapidly each generation's tastes tend to change - and how people in general hold more nostalgic childhood memories than they tend to show to the big scary world of adulthood (and to their children, where applicable).

What if, in a perfect world, Pacific Rim was instead an adaptation of one of the mecha series that the martial law babies enjoyed? Wouldn't it be funny to see forty-somethings getting really giddy about it?

After all, at some point we become Rurouni whose time has passed.

1 comment: