Pages

Monday, September 03, 2012

I Hate Post-Mortems

"The limited circle is pure."
- Franz Kafka

So I was checking some of the things I had to look after (also known as the boring stuff adults do) and found that one of them had 'orphan' as its status, which probably means that the liaison let go of the responsibilities with regards to that, uh, boring adult thing. Well, I guess that's that.

This makes me recall something I read about the types of people we encounter throughout our lives - some only pass by to drop off certain life lessons before moving on, some pass by and become tests of character, some remain to be people we'd depend on during our most difficult times and some come back whenever we need them.

I guess that rings true for most people. I still occasionally exchange pleasantries with some folks I met way back during the glory days of a defunct game called Duels, as members of the Burning Monks. Personally, I think that it's strange that I've known these people much longer than some real life friends, given the fact that most of them come from faraway places such as the US, Britain and South Africa.

Maybe that's why I tend to drop everything whenever someone is keen for a catch-up. I can't count the number of leaves I've used up just to see old friends and for the most part, it's almost always worth it. I guess it's one of those rare times when I'd feel that time is truly one of the most valuable and underrated commodities people have at their disposal. It doesn't really matter whether people would just meet over a cup of coffee, or visit a sushi bar to stack plates, or spend five hours at a buffet whining about how crappy life is. I guess what counts is that the stories we individually experience are told, listened to and laughed at.

After all, as Lennon put it, time we enjoyed wasting is not wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment