Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

<3 Google && !<3 Undue Attention

Arthur Clarke once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I guess this could be true when it comes to being part of a systems support team as well. It all began around yesterday, when I received a ticket about a user being unable to open any MS Office applications on her PC.

Naturally, I went through the routine of asking probing questions and then some remote access on her machine. I noticed that the problem was that all .exe files couldn't be opened due to some fuck-up in the registry, a similar problem I encountered way back when I was in highschool. I can't believe that the ticket was sitting there for nine hours without any support. The user sent three separate tickets just to get noticed and her second one was the first thing I got when my shift began.

It took all of ten minutes just to Google the fix, download it, zip the registry file, send it to the user and apply it. Ten fucking minutes.

I thought it was over.

Fast forward to this morning, I open my mail and I received a flood of praise. From my supervisor. From my trainer. From my manager. From two stakeholders. I'm not really fond of undue attention, so I was puzzled. It turns out the user sent some sort of commendation to our group mailbox. She was like "ur teh awes0me pl0x" or something because it turned out she probably had the issue for days before asking for help, thus rendering her unable to work.

Seriously though, and it might sound really stupid, but this is one of the perks of knowing when and how to use a search engine when in doubt. I'd even go so far as to say if a person spent a few hours on the Internet each day, they would solve this in no time as well.

At the very least, I certainly won't reject a good card dealt to me. Why? It looks damn good in paper when you're up for assessment/evaluation/promotion, whatever they call that nowadays.

Keep 'em coming then, so I may work my magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment